Sunday, December 7, 2008

"Modern" diets and supplements.

For the majority of people who don't raise their own foods, diets can be deficient in vitamins and minerals. In fact, it was the study of diet deficiencies in the USA and other countries that led to the creation of vitamin and mineral supplements.

Since my late youth, when I left the farm, I have included supplements in my diet. Now I take "therapeutic" blends of vitamins, helped by mineral tablets that are high in often neglected components, such as calcium and trace elements. I do NOT take "mega doses"; some vitamins are toxic at high levels.

But exercise caution. Supplement marketers have some of the most profitable markups short of prescription medicines. Read what you can learn on the internet searches, including reputable experts, such as http://mayoclinic.com.

Herbal foods and supplements are a totally unregulated part of the economy. Some pretty outlandish claims have been made. Some "miracle herbals" can actually be toxic.

From time to time, I might suggest makers of supplements that I think are worth visiting on the internet. Read what
you can find, and make informed choices.

I welcome comments from people who have good or bad experience from various supplement sources.

No comments:

Favorite Blog